Clay & Milk, a new digital source for news on Midwest startups, technology and innovation, is seeking a managing editor to be based in Des Moines, Iowa.
We’re looking for someone who can tell the story of the entrepreneurial community in Iowa and the broader Midwest with accuracy and insight. He or she should be able to write about and for the Midwest’s entrepreneurs, artists, investors and broader innovation community, but in a way that grows outside readership and interest.
The managing editor will also be responsible for Clay & Milk’s editorial vision and serve as the site’s main reporter and editor. The role will entail growing Clay & Milk’s content, handling social media, manage freelance writers and working to involve community voices in the form of guest commentary.
This position is designed for a true “entrepreneurial journalist”, someone whose interests include building and leading a nascent publication as well as covering stories from across the innovation community.
- 0 to 5 years of reporting experience, internships or college journalism work included. Work or applicable experience with startups or related fields will be considered.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and willingness to adapt to a startup work environment.
- A passion for technology and startups is preferred, but not required.
- A technical efficiency and ability to sign up for new products and quickly understand how they work.
- Great listening skills. Telling stories requires you to hear them.
- Great written and editorial skills.
- Ability to organize and communicate amongst a group of freelance writers.
- An ambition to grow the midwest.
Experience reporting on these areas or business is beneficial, but not required. We’re as interested in your vision for Clay & Milk and innovation coverage as we are your experience.
How to apply
Please send a brief cover letter, a resume and links to up to five examples of your past reporting or writing work to Geoff Wood at email@example.com. Applications should be sent as one file, either as a Word document or .pdf, if possible.