Website John Deere
As an Engineering Manager for John Deere Financial at the John Deere Technology Innovation Center located in Ames, IA, you will recruit, develop, and lead a team of students to become the next generation of software engineering talent for John Deere. In addition, you will:
- Manage a team of students and solve problems that are typically defined by standards, requiring moderate analytical thinking and ensure the team align their efforts to the needs of the organization and works within the framework of overall IT strategy
- Engage with campus faculty and recruitment to attract top engineering talent by sharing about John Deere on campus and in the classroom
- Understand the vision, strategy, and needs of John Deere Financial’s software engineering organization by recognizing emerging needs, delivering solutions for those needs, and developing talent that will have proficiency in solving those needs
- Drive the funding strategy that enables John Deere Financial to develop a strong talent pipeline and deepen university engagement
- Resolve disagreements regarding technical requirements for interdependencies across teams
- Drive Agile culture among teams, along with monitoring product health, technical debt and key team metrics
- Provide team leadership, motivation and recognition communications, provide staff members with challenging roles and growth opportunities, and maintain collaborative relationships between divisions, suppliers, dealers, branches, factories, product engineering, customers, and team members.
- Manage the staffing strategy to ensure the team has highly engaged and appropriately staffed team members to ensure team longevity. Coordinate with HR the hiring of new team members
- Understand financial implications of the technology and makes economically sound decisions. Provide input in the operating budget and has responsibility for managing it.
Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- Effective verbal and written communication forms with emphasis on persuasive communication, tact and negotiation
- Extensive technical knowledge and background across a wide breadth of technology competencies -React/Redux, Java, APIs, AWS, HTML & CSS, Databases, Basic Web Infrastructure
- Experience in technical leadership – understanding of architecture to evaluate designs and implementation
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery practices
- Knowledge of test-driven development practices and automation
- Team-oriented, passionate about developing others’ skills and capabilities
- Ability to identify and select excellent Engineering Talent
- Experience providing candid and effective performance feedback
- Experience with Agile development process, methodology, and scaling
- 5 or more years of experience developing software
What Makes You Stand Out
- Demonstrated passion for campus engagement, recruiting, and developing early talent
- Demonstrated passion for agile mindset and tenets: continuous value delivery, quality, emerging architecture, servant leadership, etc.
- Demonstrated passion for technical learning and identifying areas for application
- 2 or more years of experience leading engineering teams
- Strong understanding and implementation of cloud technologies
- Good understanding of UX/CX
- Experience developing software in a regulated and compliance driven environment
Education (or equivalent work experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering/Technology or Information Technology discipline
What You’ll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.deere.com.